Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913 + 1828)
result(s) from the 1913
Shame (?), n. [OE. shame, schame, AS. scamu, sceamu; akin to OS. & OHG. scama, G. scham, Icel. skömm, shkamm, Sw. & Dan. skam, D. & G. schande, Goth. skanda shame, skaman sik to be ashamed; perhaps from a root skam meaning to cover, and akin to the root (kam) of G. hemd shirt, E. chemise. Cf. Sham.]
1. A painful sensation excited by a consciousness of guilt or impropriety, or of having done something which injures reputation, or of the exposure of that which nature or modesty prompts us to conceal.
HIde, for shame,
Romans, your grandsires' images,
That blush at their degenerate progeny.
Have you no modesty, no maiden shame?
2. Reproach incurred or suffered; dishonor; ignominy; derision; contempt.
Ye have borne the shame of the heathen.
Ezek. xxxvi. 6.
Honor and shame from no condition rise.
And every woe a tear can claim
Except an erring sister's shame.
3. The cause or reason of shame; that which brings reproach, and degrades a person in the estimation of others; disgrace.
O Csar, what a wounding shame is this!
Guides who are the shame of religion.
4. The parts which modesty requires to be covered; the private parts.
Isa. xlvii. 3.
For shame! you should be ashamed; shame on you! -- To put to shame, to cause to feel shame; to humiliate; to disgrace. Let them be driven backward and put to shame that wish me evil."
Ps. xl. 14.
Shame, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Shamed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Shaming.]
1. To make ashamed; to excite in (a person) a comsciousness of guilt or impropriety, or of conduct derogatory to reputation; to put to shame.
Were there but one righteous in the world, he would . . . shame the world, and not the world him.
2. To cover with reproach or ignominy; to dishonor; to disgrace.
And with foul cowardice his carcass shame.
3. To mock at; to deride. [Obs. or R.]
Ye have shamed the counsel of the poor.
Ps. xiv. 6.
Shame, v. i. [AS. scamian, sceamian. See Shame, n.] To be ashamed; to feel shame. [R.]
I do shame
To think of what a noble strain you are.